Domestic abuse is an issue that many couples and families face every day throughout Minnesota. Domestic abuse-related crimes are serious offenses and the consequences can be very severe. These offense are aggressively prosecuted in the State of Minnesota. If convicted, the consequences can be long-lasting, including the inability to own or possess a firearm.
Carson J. Heefner has over 20 years of experience representing clients accused of domestic assault. When faced with a domestic abuse charge, it is important to call Carson right away so we can begin to work on your case immediately.
What is Domestic Abuse/Assault:
Domestic abuse/assault is essentially the same crime as assault, the difference being that the victim in a domestic abuse/assault case is a “family member”.
Family Member in Minnesota includes:
- Spouses/former spouses
- Persons related by blood
- People who currently reside together, or have in the past
- Peron’s who have a child in common
- Person’s involved in a significant romantic or sexual relationship
Guidance You Can Trust
In the State of Minnesota, there are several offenses that fall under domestic abuse. Those offenses include:
- Domestic Assault by Strangulation
- Malicious Punishment of a Child
- Interference with an Emergency call
- Violation of a Domestic Abuse No Contact Order (DANCO)
- Violation of a Harassment Restraining Order
- Violation of an Order for Protection
Fighting For Your Future
There are various collateral consequences that are the direct result of being convicted of domestic abuse. They include:
- Loss of job
- Loss of professional license
- Inability to rent or lease a home
- Mandatory anger management classes
- Mandatory domestic abuse classes
- DANCO orders
- Order for protection
- Inability to own or possess a firearm
Contact A Minnesota Criminal Defense Lawyer
Carson J. Heefner has over 20 years experience defending people charged with Domestic Abuse. If you or someone you know has have been charged with such on offense, contact Carson at 612-202-8971 or for a free consultation.